Intro To Backpacking! June 9-11
Intro to backpacking;
June 9-2-3hr evening session
June 10-11 out in the field
This course is a fantastic introduction to overnight backpacking!
This course will focus on;
-equipment selection & proper clothing
-setting up camp
-back country cooking basics
-some hazard awareness
-leave no trace principles
All these topics will be covered while hiking and camping in a stunning setting in Chilliwack or Manning Park.
Itinerary– exact times and location still to be determined.
The Friday evening session gives participants a chance to trip plan with the guide, and go over packing and equipment needed. There will be time to ask questions as well!
The two days in the field are filled with instruction in a hands on and experiential way. The hiking will be geared towards beginner hikers.
- Hiking boots: Should be broken in and waterproofed
- Camp shoes: Comfortable shoes for around camp, running shoes or sandals recommended
- Socks: Two pairs of good hiking socks (you may wish to bring liners as well to prevent blisters)
- Gaiters: One pair of knee high gaiters
- Jacket: A waterproof and breathable jacket (e.g. Goretex)
- Insulation: For extra warmth. Jacket or pullover. Wool, fleece or down/synthetic
- Mid-layer: One light (fleece or wool) jacket or pullover.
- Base-layer: One long-sleeve shirt and one short-sleeve shirt. No cotton! Wool or other breathable material.
- Gloves: Fleece or wool recommended
- Outerwear: One pair breathable rain pants (e.g. Goretex)
- Pants: Lightweight, breathable hiking pants (no denim or cotton)
- Shorts: Lightweight, breathable shorts (no denim or cotton)
- Base-layer: One pair of long underwear
- Wool or fleece toque
- Sun hat
- Tent (3-4 season backpacking tent recommended)
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad
- 2 one-liter water bottles
- Bowl, cup, spoon/fork/knife
- Toothbrush, toothpaste
- Pack: Large enough to fit all your gear with additional room for food and water
- Waterproof pack cover (extra garbage bags are great for waterproofing too)
- Hiking poles (optional, but your knees will thank you)
- Notebook and pen (great for journaling)
- Camera & binoculars (plenty of great photo ops along the way!)
Not sure what to bring? Give us a call or stop by the store and we can hook you up with some great gear before your trip!