Level 2 Rock- Lead Climbing- Sept. 9-10
Learn to Lead Outdoors On Trad!
Level 2 Rock is designed for climbers wanting to learn lead climbing. The focus is learning to lead on trad, placing trad gear, and building anchors. This course builds on skills from Level 1 Rock.
The ACMG guides provide close support, ascending on a separate rope beside you, ensuring your safety, while inspiring your first lead on gear!
- Safety systems and protocols, and risk management on lead.
- Equipment strength, forces encountered leading, fall factors.
- Place and assess trad gear (cams, nuts)
- Tricks for cleaning gear, seconding a pitch, and using a nut tool.
- Safe communication and terminology.
- Multidirectional 3 and 4 point anchors. IDEALS acronym. Anchors in series and parallel.
- Strategies for lead climbing and placing gear, protecting the second.
- Mock leads with top-rope or real leads depending on participants.
- Focus on solid skills, mock or real lead climb with coaching.
- Rappelling, prusik back-up, knots in the ends.
- Tying 2 ropes together, strategies to throw ropes or basket coil.
- Intro to French free, bolt ladders, and self-rescue.
- Next steps: discuss self-directed practice and Level 3 Rock (receive 20% off sequential courses/guiding).
Note: Goals are flexible and can be tailored for individuals.
Saturday- Sunday, Sept. 9-10
Courses will be Squamish from 8am – 4pm.
Meet at 8am at the Squamish Adventure Centre to sign waivers and check equipment.
Plan to be back at the cars at 4pm.
More specific details will be sent to those that sign up!
- Helmet (climbing)
- Belay device
- Chalk bag
- Rock shoes (comfortable)
- 5 locking carabiners (pear shape)
- 2 x Double length sling (120cm)
- Cordelette (5m x 7mm cord)
- 6 x Quickdraws
- 4 x Alpine Draws (60cm slings)
- Double Rack (cams + nuts)
- Rope 9.2-9.8mm x 70m
Staff at Mt. Waddingtons would be happy to outfit you with gear!
Top roping outside and/or Level 1 Rock. Anchor and lead belay experience recommended. One day intensive is for climbers with some lead experience on trad.