How To: Bake A Good Trail Snack
These delicious Energy Mix Cookies are an excellent nutritious snack that will provide essential vitamins to support an active outdoor lifestyle. This recipe takes a natural approach in creating sweet and savory cookies: a perfect combination for nibbles on trail.
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups unbleached whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup raisins (plump in one cup of hot water for 5 minutes)
- Combine seeds and roast in dry frying pan until crackle. Place in a large bowl.
- Add remaining dry ingredients.
- Drain raisins (keep water) and add to bowl along with oil and honey.
- Mix together with a large spoon and add raisin water until dough is completely mixed.
- Scoop with a spoon and press dough down onto baking sheet (note: dough will not spread in the oven).
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Keep leftovers in the freezer for your next hike!