How To: Build A Quinzee!
A quinzee, if you’re unsure, is a sweet snow cave. It can be an overnight shelter, or just an awesome winter fort. In the cold weather a quinzee is much warmer than sleeping in a tent because of the temperature differences that exist within the layers of snow. By mixing the snow, the temperatures mix and enable you to create a sintering process that causes even the softest snow to harden.
- Choose your location with plenty of time before it gets dark, and don’t forget your shovel!
- Start by piling snow into the size and shape of an igloo.
- Let it settle for at least one hour (great time for a snack break!).
- After it settles you can begin hollowing it out to your desired size. Keep the walls to a minimum of 30-45cm thick.
- The inside, like the outside, should be dome shaped.
- Lastly, create a small vent near the top, but not directly above you, to allow for airflow.